Sport for All
Here at St. Laurence Junior School, we believe there is a sport to suit everybody and we do our best to find it! Sport is enjoyable, motivating and character building and our goal is that our children leave us inspired to continue their chosen sports into their adult lives.
The Impact of PE and School Sport at St. Laurence Church Junior School:
At St. Laurence Church Junior School there is a big emphasis on PE and school sport. We believe that sport has a huge positive impact on young people. It leads to healthier lifestyles and lifelong hobbies and friendships. Sport teaches children how to win respectfully and lose gracefully. Representing the school gives children a sense of pride and belonging. They learn key life skills of communication, teamwork, discipline, perseverance and trust.
We encourage all of our pupils to try different sports and activities and offer a range of clubs and opportunities to represent the school in both competitive and non-competitive fixtures or festivals.
The number of different sports we have competed in so far this year have included; tag-rugby, girls and boys football, netball, cross country and athletics with plans to expand this again next year. We try to enter as many competitions as possible for each sport and rotate selection each time to ensure that all children get given opportunities.
This is what our pupils have to say about Physical Education and Sport at St Laurence:
- Year 4 - Max: I have taken part in the multi-sports club this year and I have enjoyed that it has covered lots of different sports, games and activities.
- Year 6 - Isabelle: This year I have taken part in netball club. I find it is very instructive so I always know what to do, how to do it and when. It is also good as there are teams and competitions.
- Year 5 - Seth: This year I haven taken part in football club. I have enjoyed the way it helps me to get better at football and also to learn about other people.
- Year 6 - Rhian: PE lessons are very enjoyable and relaxing. It allows us to calm down, especially when we are outside. This year I have taken part in the netball and tag-rugby club. We have learned lots of new things and get big opportunities like playing matches.
- Year 3 - Ethan: I have taken part in the multi-sports club this year and I enjoyed that you get to do a different sport every week. I have also enjoyed tennis in my PE lessons as I like to learn about different sports.
- Year 5 - Maiara: I have enjoyed how the clubs go through skills and then we play a game. This year I have really enjoyed my PE lessons as they are fun and exciting. My favourite lesson so far has been rhythmic gymnastics as I do a lot of sports but I really enjoyed this topic.
- Year 6 - Jayden: I have enjoyed developing my skills and learning new skills at the sports clubs. Also, I have found the PE lessons enjoyable, playing new sports and doing new activities. My favourite PE lesson so far has been netball because I found it really fun and it gets me active.
What our volunteer coaches have to say:
Mrs Currie - I have been super impressed with the children's development both in skills, competitive discipline and listening skills - we had a match to finish off our sessions and they played brilliantly; great team work, lovely controlled defence and some fab skills being applied in the game. Congratulations to them!
Pathway to Podium
Here at St Laurence we have engaged with The Pathway to Podium initiative which has been designed to recognise and encourage contribution to Physical Education, school sport and physical activity.
The idea of the programme is to celebrate the positive work that schools already do and suggest further improvements to better engage children in physical activities across the whole day.
We have earnt the 'Certificate of Engagement' and are working towards achieving a Bronze Award.