The St Laurence Prayer Council has a central role in Collective Worship, RE and within wider school life. There is one Prayer Councillor in each class. We meet weekly to discuss worship, prepare for upcoming events, write prayers and evaluate the worship that has taken place.
The Prayer Council:
- say a greeting at the start of each collective worship and dismiss the school community at the end.
- welcome visitors into collective worship, for example parents during our Celebration Assembly.
- ensure our school value is displayed in their classroom.
- prepare and carry out collective worship about the meaning of each school value. They look for examples of it being shown in the Bible.
- change the prayer cloth in their classroom for each liturgical season.
- say a lunchtime and end of day prayer with their class; they ask children who wish to join in with the prayer to do so.
- work with Canon Janet to prepare for festivals in church.
- share how they have developed spiritually with their friends and adults in school - some of their words can be found below.
Year 3 Prayer Council:
Anna, Evie, Ellie
Year 4 Prayer Council:
Phoebe, Toby, Jessica
Year 5 Prayer Council:
Luke, Daisy, Poppy
Year 6 Prayer Council:
Bella, Jack, Bradley
Our Own Prayers
Let us have a good year ahead,
Let's improve on the mistakes we have made,
Let us try new things this year,
Let us be kind in all the ways we can.
Thank you for making our amazing world,
Please can you help the poor and give them food,
Thank you for giving us food and water.
Please help us to show endurance.
Thank you for the wonderful animals in our world,
Please help us to show respect to them.
Please let people know that you are with them,
Thank you for sending us your one and only son.
I thank you for my food,
I thank you for my family.
Please bless the people around me.
Please help me to be the best I can be.
Please help those in need,
I thank you for who you sent to help us,
Poppy talks about her Baptism
On Sunday the 20th March, I got baptised. It was the best day of my life! This is because I got to connect with God and show that I have been born again. It all began, when I walked though the doors into King’s Church. With my bright blue T-shirt, I saw my other three friends who were also getting baptised. Those three others were Imogen, Sophie, Phoebe (my sister) and me. After two songs for worship and an hour of butterflies it was finally my turn to go up . I had recorded a short film about my friendship with God and why I wanted to get baptised... to my surprise people found it VERY funny.
I went into the pool to be baptised (it was nice and warm). I went all of the way under the water for a couple of seconds. It was a special way of showing that my heart has been washed clean by Jesus- a bit like a bath! I wanted to do this in front of everyone to show I have chosen to be on God’s team for the rest of my life. I was a bit cold afterwards as I was watching my friends but it was worth it. After, I got changed with my special outfit and had cupcakes to celebrate. I have really special memories of being baptised and starting my new life with God!